Mission Statement

The Housing Authority goal is to provide drug free, decent, safe and sanitary housing for eligible families;
and to provide opportunities and promote self-sufficient and economic independence for residents.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Board of Directors

Our board of directors consist of five members, who serve two years terms. One board member is a resident.

  • James Foerster - Chairman
  • George Pattison - Vice-Chairman
  • Linda Kennedy - Commissioner
  • Iva Belew - Commissioner
  • Freda Morris - Resident Commissioner

 

1111 Ross Street P.O. Box 1780 Vernon, Texas 76385 (940) 552-5744

location

 

 

 

Application forms:

THIS APPLICATION IS GOOD FOR ONLY SIX (6) MONTHS FROM DATE OF SUBMISSION TO THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OFFICE. IN ORDER TO REMAIN ON THE ACTIVE WAITING LIST, APPLICANTS MUST CONTACT THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OFFICE EVERY SIX (6) MONTHS TO INDICATE CONTINUED INTEREST.

Click here to download application

 

Rules and Regulations:

The rules and regulations are a part of the lease and the tenant agrees to abide by such. These rules apply to the tenant, any member of the tenant’s household, guests or other persons under the tenant’s control.

Download Rules and Regulations (PDF)

Pet Ownership policies(PDF)

 

 

 

 

The Housing Authority of the City of Vernon held its organizational meeting October 12, 1963 at 10:00 a.m. at the W. T. Waggoner Building in the City ofVemon, Texas.

Original Board of Commissioners were:

  • K.M. Moore
  • Frank Long
  • James Golden
  • Benjamin Wagner
  • Hey Compton

Executive Directors

The Housing Authority moved to its present location, 1111 Ross Street, Vernon, Texas 76384, on January 1, 1969. Cost of the original completed project was $1,968,000.00. There have been four Executive Directors in the history of the Authority which include:

  • Ed Luttrell, Jr. 1964-1982
  • Ed Johnson 1982-1986
  • Robert Chilton 1987 - 2007
  • Sherry Johnson 2007 - Present

Mr. and Mrs. James Keets were the first residents of the Authority. Moved in date for the Keets was July 4, 1968 at 2827 Bacon Street, Vernon, Texas.

First modernization fund came from the Department of Housing and Urban Development in March of 1984. These funds were over and above normal operational budget funding. The amount of the modernization was $1,500,000.00.